I just recently reviewed my accounting data for sales through my distributor. Honestly, it was sometimes painful to look at it because so little changed but I finally decided to go look at it. My look revealed some interesting facts.
- Even after being a published artist for over 6 years, I still haven’t even made more than $50 total for my music. Clearly I am not a rock star! Good thing I had the brains to realize that.
- My most popular song, bar none, appears to be “Cannonball” which is interesting but somewhat expected. It has over 200 unique plays.
- Of the big players, my music appears to be most popular on Spotify since that is where a majority of my plays appear to be from. Unfortunately, it also offers the least amount of money per stream.
- Most of my listeners appear to be from North America as most of my plays are from the USA and Canada. However, I actually have about 10 different plays from Indonesia. I have no idea how I became popular out there but that works for me. Another distant listener appears to be from Thailand (which may or may not be the Thai exchange student we’ll be hosting in a few months).
- Most of all… my music simply does not interest the majority of the world. I was somewhat aware of this fact but it hurts to see it in print.
That’s all for now! I promise that although I am somewhat sad that my music is not getting much attention, I am not depressed about it, I just wish things were different.